Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Thank God For Aliens

Vatican: It's OK to believe in aliens - Yahoo! News

This is the kind of news that makes me smile. First, did you know that the Vatican had a chief astronomer? I didn't. And I bet Galileo would be pissed if he knew that the Vatican would have one some day.

"See! I told you so! Geez, you guys didn't have to be so mean about it."

I do wonder where a Vatican scientist's loyalties really lie. Let's face it, church and science are usually farther separated than church and state (especially these days). Is a Vatican scientist obligated to report any scientific findings that conflict with church doctrine? Does he tell the Pope what he finds so the Pope can decide what he wants to tell people about and what he doesn't? Or does the Vatican astronomer just go straight to religion first?

He looks into the telescope. He scratches his chin. He jots down a few notes. He stares thoughtfully skyward. Finally, he turns to address his gathered colleagues.

"It's God."

There is a smattering of polite, hushed applause as the Vatican scientists stand impressed.

This is one of those things that bothers me about organized religion. If I believe that Aliens exist, or even if I have some kind of proof, I don't want to have to turn to some guy in a silly hat with fancy robes and jewelry and ask, "Is it ok to think this?"

Also, I'm amazed that the church doesn't use this excuse from the linked article for everything that causes controversy:
"It would still be part of creation."
Seems to me like that pretty much covers everything there is.

Cheers,
Eli

NYT- 4:15
CS- 5:23
LAT- 6:02
NYS- 6:30

No comments:

Post a Comment